News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Filling pickguard holes

Started by soldersqueeze, July 09, 2013, 07:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soldersqueeze

Nope, it isn't pedal related, but still a little bit of guitar DIY :)

I have a tele custom that I'm sprucing up, and with the new wiring I'll have a few unnecessary holes left in the black pickguard. Anyone have a good idea on how to fill these? I was thinking of some kind of filler which could then be sanded flat, but I have no idea what kind might be best (the holes are 8 - 10 mm in diameter).
It doesn't need to be an invisible repair as it's a cheap and cheerful stage-axe :) Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

alanp

Builder's bog with black vivid marker on top?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

soldersqueeze

Quote from: alanp on July 09, 2013, 08:07:05 AM
Builder's bog with black vivid marker on top?

Any examples of "builders bog"? I know I want some kind of filler, but when I start looking I get bemused at the sheer numbers of types  ???
Would this work do you think- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STK-38-P38-Body-Filler-60ml-Tube-Kit-/180983437923?hash=item2a23741a63 ?

alanp

Well, you could just go with epoxy, with some kind of tape on the bottom to stop it falling out.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

hoodoo

Tayda's got some 10mm LED's that would fill those holes, light her up man ;)

pryde

Honestly there really are no great options to "fill" 10mm holes in a pick guard unless you have some scrap material. It is just a lot of space to fill in. In the end, using any filling agent (epoxy, etc) will be very time consuming and look rather poor in the end. I guess I am saying if you are going to spend the time and effort anyway...

consider starting with a new pick guard and modify it with any new holes/cuts needed. Tele PG's are plentiful and cheap.

calciferspit

I remove the tone pot from all of my guitars which leaves a hole on all of my pickguards.  I use plastic hole plugs that are made for automotive finishing and furniture screw hole covers. They come in all kinds of matching colors and diameters. You can find them by the bagful at lowes and ikea for $1.

Mike B.

soldersqueeze

Quote from: pryde on July 09, 2013, 12:57:11 PM
consider starting with a new pick guard and modify it with any new holes/cuts needed. Tele PG's are plentiful and cheap.

It's for a Squier Tele Custom ii with dual P90's- they're not so easily found sadly.

Quote from: calciferspit on July 09, 2013, 03:37:09 PM
I remove the tone pot from all of my guitars which leaves a hole on all of my pickguards.  I use plastic hole plugs that are made for automotive finishing and furniture screw hole covers. They come in all kinds of matching colors and diameters. You can find them by the bagful at lowes and ikea for $1.

This is a good idea, I'll look into before trying to goop my pickguard :D

Quote from: hoodoo on July 09, 2013, 10:58:49 AM

That's sooooo tempting!

davent

Mouser also sell hole plugs with very low profiles that would come in the needed diameters. Good too for filling unneeded holes in pedals and amp chassis'.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

calciferspit

Quote from: davent on July 09, 2013, 04:59:18 PM

Mouser also sell hole plugs with very low profiles that would come in the needed diameters. Good too for filling unneeded holes in pedals and amp chassis'.

dave

Very cool. They have metal ones too! I think I'lll be replacing the plastic one on my aluminum jazzmaster guard.

stevie1556

Quote from: hoodoo on July 09, 2013, 10:58:49 AM

This gets my vote!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!