News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nautilus rotary switch question(s)

Started by Pointy, August 01, 2013, 07:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pointy

I've been confused about the rotary switch since I first started reading the Nautilus build PDF (which is otherwise very helpful and informative).  I have precious little powers of intuition on hardware topics. I'm guessing that the choice of switch has something to do with availability; rotary one-pole switches don't seem to exist. Three-pole switches do, however; is it really important that it be a 4-pole switch?

For the 4-position switch, one position isn't used in the Nautilus. Is it intended that the switch be one of those with the "magic washer" to limit the number of positions allowed to 3?

I'm pretty dumb so these questions may be ridiculous. I've ordered the board anyway :)

jimilee

Nope, you only need a 3 pole and it has that magic washer that stops it from turning.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=46
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Pointy

Quote from: jimilee on August 01, 2013, 08:07:30 PM
Nope, you only need a 3 pole

Ah, OK, awesome. I mean, I don't mind buying a 4-pole; I just wanted to "get it".

Stomptown

A 3P4t will work great and you can even use one of the extra poles to wire up a tri-colored LED! If you can get your hands on a SP3T on/on/on toggle switch that works as well. Juansolo has a build report with an SP3T you can search for if interested in that option

Pointy

I saw the idea for a 3-color LED. That might be kind-of neat, though (I'm a web designer & user experience person by trade) I'm not sure how that would be anything but a cool-looking decoration. (I guess there's something to be said for that.)

Stomptown

Quote from: Pointy on August 01, 2013, 08:58:47 PM
I saw the idea for a 3-color LED. That might be kind-of neat, though (I'm a web designer & user experience person by trade) I'm not sure how that would be anything but a cool-looking decoration. (I guess there's something to be said for that.)

Yeah, it's definitely more of an aesthetic addition. I did it on mine and wired it up so it turns off in bypass mode so there is some functionality as well. It would be a rats best of wires without a PCB though!  :)