News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clear coating

Started by Gledison, July 08, 2013, 07:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hey Guys,
just tried to find a straight answer to my question in old posts but couldn't find it.
im clear coating my enclosure with an acrylic automotive lacquer. I have done already 10 coats (each coat 2 or 3 passes). Still not so shinny but seems that is getting there. Do you know if a half rattle can is enough (mine is 400ml total)? or a full one to build a nice protection coat?
thanks in advance!
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

stevie1556

How thick are your layers. If the laquer is thick enough it maybe ok to buff up.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

Scruffie

I've done a whole guitar with one can of that so i'd say half is plenty.

Try using toothpaste and a rag to polish it up, your pedal will be minty fresh and it's a very mild abrasive.
Works at Lectric-FX

Gledison

Ive done around 12 coats now (three passes each). its almost half can!
jizz, for a Telecaster project I used 6 cans of clear! :S but I think I was not having wet coats!!
well, I assume that 200 grams of acrylic lacquer distribuited over the pedal should be ok right? :P
Hey, the idea with the toothpaste is great! sensodyne maybe will protect the surface during winter! :P
cheers

GermanCdn

I'll go ahead and ask the stupid question - are you using Gloss lacquer.  If so, you should be nice and shiny after about three coats.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Gledison

Quote from: GermanCdn on July 08, 2013, 08:09:08 PM
I'll go ahead and ask the stupid question - are you using Gloss lacquer.  If so, you should be nice and shiny after about three coats.

yes, it should be :P. is an automotive acrylic lacquer. I think will be glossy after buffing.
I can see that on the sides is getting already glossy.
I've just seen a little run and I need to send it tomorrow.
Well, one can might be too much right?
cheers