News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Name That Effect

Started by Guybrush, June 20, 2013, 04:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Hey all

Just wondering if anyone could help identify the effect used during the solo in the clip below? The track is a live version of Kevin Carter by Manic Street Preachers.

It's nothing super crazy or anything just a really nice sounding (to my ears) squelchy phaser or filter I think. Can anyone with better ears than me put their finger on what it might be?

The solo kicks in at the 1:04min mark. The effect seems to get more pronounced around 1:20mins.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/martin-samuels-3/kevin-carter[/soundcloud]

Cheers!

LaceSensor

Its highly likely a Boss Flanger.
For someone with such cool sounds, the man use(d/s) a lot of Boss stuff /corksniffer

jimilee

Are you talking about the almost doubling sound? Boss octave pedal will do that. I have the latest octve pedal, ocv-3 I think gives me that same sound.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Guybrush

Cheers guys. I'm referring to the phaser/flanger sound so I think LaceSensor maybe correct. He's playing octaves so that will explain the doubling effect.

There's very few (it any) decent photos of his pedal board as it's operated off-stage by his guitar tech.

Thanks!

Effectsiation

This is the gear they have used in more recent years, according to http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/article/3454-the-manic-street-preachers-gear-guide.html:

Wireless
A/B Switch Box (A/B for acoustic/elettric pickups):
1st output. DI into PA System for acoustic bridge
2nd output. Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz (used as clean booster for some solos)
Boss BF-2 Flanger
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss TR-2 Tremolo
Boss DD-5 Digital Delay
A/B Switch Box (clean/dirty sound)
A (clean): 2 Trace Elliot Speed Twin C50 Combos into Marshall 1960 cabs (one stage left, one stage right) - sometimes, Fender Twin Reverbs are used instead
B (dirty): Switcher Rack - to amps:
Vox AC-30
Marshall JCM900 SLX Heads into Marshall 1960 Vintage Cab (one backup)
Orange AD30 Combo
Orange OTR Heads intro Orange 4x12

Effectsiation

Also, because I can't leave well enough alone, he apparently was using a MXR Micro Flanger for the album before that one. Its possible he used that again in the studio.