Started by billstein, June 02, 2013, 08:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wstimson

Quote from: billstein on June 04, 2013, 08:51:16 AM
Quote from: wstimson on June 03, 2013, 07:06:36 PM
Quote from: TNblueshawk on June 03, 2013, 10:49:23 AM
Quote from: billstein on June 03, 2013, 05:57:10 AM
Quote from: twin1965 on June 02, 2013, 05:19:04 PM

What power supply are you going to use? 9V or 18V?

Haven't decided yet. I have a one spot and a voodoolabs pedal power. So I can go either way. I guess you would use two to the 9v isolated jacks to get 18v from the voodoo labs. Does anybody know if that is correct?

I actually bought an adaptor from them for 18v before I got into building.

Why not go with a road rage?

No need for a road rage.  The Harbinger has the charge pump on board. 
But you can omit that section and just use an 18v supply if you choose.

Does that mean the Harbinger is running at 18v regardless of what power supply you use. The fact I don't know this probably shows I'm not ready for this build, but I'm doing it anyway! :)

Yes, the Harbinger needs to run at 18v. 

The board/build docs just give you the option of how to do this.  Either with an 18v power supply, or with a 9v power supply and an onboard voltage doubler.  It is very clearly spelled out in the build docs about which components to use/omit for which power adapter you'd like to use with it.

Don't be too scared of it... it's a complex build for sure, but Bean makes great boards and build docs.
Just take your time, read the docs thoroughly a few times before starting, and ask questions if you have them.

TNblueshawk

I hope I didn't confuse you Bill.

I recently built a vibe where the voltage doubler if you will was incorporated onto the PCB itself (a vibe). Up to that point I had used the Road Rage in the past to double the voltage off a 9v supply and I didn't realize that the doubler was built into this layout. I just hadn't checked it out yet.

If it's me I'd plan to build it to run at 18v using the parts on the PCB, but that's just me.
John

wstimson

Quote from: TNblueshawk on June 05, 2013, 03:49:17 PM

If it's me I'd plan to build it to run at 18v using the parts on the PCB, but that's just me.

Me too. Just seems easier that way than having to either make sure you have a separate 18v adapter with you, or using two of your pedal power II ports to get 18v.  I try to make all of my pedals to run off of a basic 9v adapter like a boss adapter or a onespot. 

But that's just me... nothing wrong with doing it the other way.

TNblueshawk

My fear with the 18v adaptor or a 24 is plugging it into a 9v pedal  :o  !

John

billstein

Quote from: wstimson on June 04, 2013, 04:30:14 PM
Quote from: billstein on June 04, 2013, 08:51:16 AM
Quote from: wstimson on June 03, 2013, 07:06:36 PM
Quote from: TNblueshawk on June 03, 2013, 10:49:23 AM
Quote from: billstein on June 03, 2013, 05:57:10 AM
Quote from: twin1965 on June 02, 2013, 05:19:04 PM

What power supply are you going to use? 9V or 18V?

Haven't decided yet. I have a one spot and a voodoolabs pedal power. So I can go either way. I guess you would use two to the 9v isolated jacks to get 18v from the voodoo labs. Does anybody know if that is correct?

I actually bought an adaptor from them for 18v before I got into building.

Why not go with a road rage?

No need for a road rage.  The Harbinger has the charge pump on board. 
But you can omit that section and just use an 18v supply if you choose.

Does that mean the Harbinger is running at 18v regardless of what power supply you use. The fact I don't know this probably shows I'm not ready for this build, but I'm doing it anyway! :)

Yes, the Harbinger needs to run at 18v. 

The board/build docs just give you the option of how to do this.  Either with an 18v power supply, or with a 9v power supply and an onboard voltage doubler.  It is very clearly spelled out in the build docs about which components to use/omit for which power adapter you'd like to use with it.

Don't be too scared of it... it's a complex build for sure, but Bean makes great boards and build docs.
Just take your time, read the docs thoroughly a few times before starting, and ask questions if you have them.

Thank you so much for clearing this up for me.

billstein

Quote from: TNblueshawk on June 05, 2013, 03:49:17 PM
I hope I didn't confuse you Bill.

No problem brother. You couldn't confuse me any more than I am with all this stuff.
Every once in a while a synapse actually fires and I gain a clue but most of the time I'm groping in the dark when it comes to this stuff.

On another note. Did you do a tutorial on envirotexing (man that can't be spelled right... it's late...who cares) a whole box. Do you have the link for that?

TNblueshawk

When I get into work I'll link you. Hit me with a PM if you don't see a repost here by about 9am....I'm old and I forget!

Juansolo has a thread here with his tut where they do just the top and he allowed me to link my tut in there but BYOC, where the tut is, changed their URL address so I don't know if it will work as there has been some issues with old links lately.

Edit: BYOC is down so I can't link you right now Bill.
John