News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Relay Bypass - Special Project

Started by AllenM, May 31, 2013, 03:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenM

Hey guys.. looking for some Relay Bypass options for a special project. I have a friend who started placing some of his pedals in the FX loop on his amp and while at a show I noticed he kept walking to the amp to bypass the FXs... so I had the idea to build a looper with a harness/snake that would allow me to put a control pedal (3-4 switches) on his pedal board to remote switch the pedals. Simple project was just wanting to get some input on possible prefabbed PCBs and etc.

AllenM

spaceboss

I'm looking for something similar probably.

I want to make self-etched relay boards, because I never want to use those blue switches again. Relay with momentary switches is just so nice for effortlessly bringing effecting in and out with no pop. It's fantastic. However, pragmatic and economic solutions seem few and far between.

On page 7 of this thread:

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13295&sid=76dfb62ad2cb6fb007cf160006032cdc

a good chap posted Eagle files for such a relay bypass--which works with momentary switches. I don't have Eagle (although this particular issue is almost enough to make me jump into that world) so I can't access the schematic, to make a parts list, or convert the layout into a single sided one for etching. But it is out there.

The advantage of the boards and layouts in the freestompboxes thread is that they don't require an expensive  pre-programmed microchip to drive the relay. (The vero ones with the latching switches are very simple and fairly inexpensive.) The only products I've found for relay integration involve kits (some assembled, some not) which cost anywhere from $12 to $20 a pop.

So I'm looking for a board, which doesn't need a microcontroller, uses a momentary switch, ideally that I could etch my-self.

I'll post back in this thread if I make any progress on this front.

drezdn

jkokura

I would suggest looking into some of the midi type bypass setups. In theory, he could get those effects on a rack, install a midi switching unit (either bought or one you built), and then use a ground control or Pedal Sync type midi controller to setup presets. It's actually pretty typical of pro switching units to do it that way, and if I were touring that's what I'd be looking into.

Anyway, that's what I suggest. Check out Pedal Sync, and look into build a relay based looper into a rack with a midi in. Then either use a midi controller available or build one.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Thomas_H

If this does not require any programming you could use the Relais strips I designed.

You only would need a remote switch to ground for each relais to create a remote control.
http://thcustom.com/the-ultimate-switch-v1-0-diy/

DIY-PCBs and projects:

Thomas_H

@spaceboss:

I also tried doing 3PDT replacements and created a version of the above but for In-pedal use. Unfortunately I am not to happy with it as it is way to large to really be the solution for 1590B enclosures. It does fit and work but you do not have too many options how to put it in.
It does work very well for larger enclosures though.

If you do the mentioned latched relay control yourself, please let me know about it how it works out.
One thing about this approach to keep in mind is that after power up you do not have a defined status on the relais. They are just in the condition they were left after power off!

DIY-PCBs and projects:

AllenM

Thomas's device may be on the right track.. I need non-midi type device. A lot of players I work with want to keep it simple so basically I just want to be able to extend the footswitches to a remote unit on the pedal board and the controller unit at the amp. 3 to 4 loops would give him the ability to change out as needed.

I myself use a Voodoo Lab setup (8loops, direct access plus 10 presets and midi control of my JVM) but when I show this solution to some players they say it is too much and they don't mind tap dancing.. lol

One of these days I will finally get around to sending Thomas and guitarplayer my designs (conceptual layouts and drawings) of what I consider a very user friendly controller design that won't scare off the non-midi folks but will make there life easier!