News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Soldering Iron Temperature for PCBs?

Started by Effectsiation, July 31, 2012, 04:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Effectsiation

Hi folks,

I feel like I've been asking myself this question for a long time now.  What is the proper temperature for your soldering iron for soldering PCBs or heck guitar effects in general? 

For reference I'm using a Weller WESD51 (50 Watt Station with Digital Temperature read-out).

Pretty much everything I do is somewhere between 400-600 degrees F, but lately it seems as if many of my joints are going cold. Maybe its just time for a tip (or pencil) replacement, but to be sure, I wanted to ask and see what temperature you guys use.

I've seen recommended 700-800 degrees F, and that was way too hot for me and resulted in cold joints and lifted traces.

What say you?

gtr2

I'm around 730 (I believe) with a Hakko 936 using 60/40 solder.  Never had a problem with joints or traces.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Effectsiation

That's interesting Josh. When I have my temp turned up too high (like over 650 F) the solder tends to kind of bubble up and down on a trace and I feel like thats when it results in a cold solder joint more often than not.

Desoldering is of course a different story and I'm in the 700s for that.

I mean maybe I've been doing it wrong this whole time and just need to be quicker at a higher temperature.

pickdropper

Almost always 720 for me unless I am tinning lots wire, in which case I usually go 810.

The key with higher temp is to get in and out fast.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gtr2

Effectsiation, Is this happening on etched boards?

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Effectsiation

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Effectsiation

Radioshack 60/40.  I'll happily try something else if anyone has a suggestion.

pickdropper

I like Kester 63/37.  I like .020-.025 thick although most people seem to prefer thicker.
Function f(x)

gtr2

I use rat shack 60/40 as well.

Maybe you need a new tip.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Effectsiation

Just wanted to update that I got a new pencil for my soldering iron and all is well again.  Looks like I just wore the old one out after many years of good service. Something I wanted to mention (although I'm sure most of you folks know) is in the Weller manual for this new pencil it said to make sure you used Distilled Water on your sponge. That makes total sense, and I dont know why I wasn't doing that earlier, other than no one mentioned it to me.

gtr2

Just a tip I've learned...no pun intended  ;)

Use this instead of water/sponge for tip cleaning.  Tips last WAYYY longer.

http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-Cleaner-599B-02-Non-Corrosive-Needed/dp/B000PDQORU

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pickdropper

Quote from: gtr2 on August 08, 2012, 07:04:16 PM
Just a tip I've learned...no pun intended  ;)

Use this instead of water/sponge for tip cleaning.  Tips last WAYYY longer.

http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-Cleaner-599B-02-Non-Corrosive-Needed/dp/B000PDQORU

Josh

+1.  I never use sponges anymore.  You can get a stand for your Weller that has the tip cleaner built in as well.  These work MUCH better than the sponges.
Function f(x)