News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Notaklon release?

Started by nightendday, July 16, 2012, 10:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightendday

Why was the previous klone board revised? Was the pcb changed to be more accurate? What can I expect as far as authentic klon style tones from the new boards?

madbean

The Kingslayer is not a direct clone of the Klon, but revised and expanded to my own personal taste. There are several changes: the voltage supply has been reconfigured from +18/-9v to a more simple +/- 9v supply. This allows for a reduction in parts (smaller layout) while still retaining most of the headroom. The two dual amp ICs have also been reduced to one quad, with a specific IC suggested. Additionally, the entire circuit is run at +/-9v. The Klon runs the second half of the circuit only at the expanded voltage supply. Doing it this way actually adds back a bit more headroom than is available in the Klon. Another change is the addition of two switches for clipping choices. It allows you to select two different sets hard clipping diodes and also one pair of soft clipped diodes (in the feedback loop of the gain stage). This adds a greater range of tones IMO than the Klon.

So, you get pretty close to the Klon sound, use less parts, the layout is smaller and has no standing resistors (unlike the Sunking which was a Klone) and get a few choices for clipping diodes.

midwayfair

Quote from: madbean on July 16, 2012, 11:01:36 PMthe voltage supply has been reconfigured from +18/-9v to a more simple +/- 9v supply.  ... The two dual amp ICs have also been reduced to one quad

When you first showed the prototype board, I was surprised no one did this in the past, because it's a really good idea. There's been too much reverence for innovation, I suppose.

gtr2

I had a feeling Jamie was a Klon Killer too.  Lansisters....  8)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

sgmezei