News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Thumb Down A Lowrider

Started by alanp, March 28, 2012, 10:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

It's messier than I wanted -- Tayda didn't have the PCB mount pots suitable for the board, and I decided to try 1uF film caps in place of 'lytics. I had originally planned to take advantage of this and lay it out down2 - down1 - clean - up1. I found I couldn't be bothered. A battery should fit, I just don't have any spare lying around right now.

But man O man does it sound nice! It sounds nothing like (in my fists of ham), but the sound puts me in mind of 'Thumb', from Blues for the Red Sun. (It used up my last 2 germanium diodes, it had better sound good hehe!)

It even sounds good through the MG15 and the ratty old cables of static!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

nzCdog

Well done... its quite an intense build that, nice layout and tidy look. 
Rock on! 8)

alanp

I'm not quite sure why it's described as 'genius' level... I mean, no great leaps of intellect are needed, it's just plug the correct value parts into the correct places (crossing them off the BOM as you go), and don't be sloppy when soldering.

Attention to detail is required, yes, but... you know what I mean? I'm not sure I do.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jkokura

The level of the project refers simply to it's complexity, which is generally rated by the number of parts. Because the lowrider is one of the bigger projects available, with a much larger than average BOM, it's rated at Genius. Imagine if something had gone wrong and it wasn't working. It's much harder to narrow the problem down on this PCB than a simple overdrive, boost or fuzz...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

nzCdog

Quote from: jkokura on March 29, 2012, 04:29:32 AM
Imagine if something had gone wrong and it wasn't working. It's much harder to narrow the problem down on this PCB than a simple overdrive, boost or fuzz...
this...

I still dread trouble shooting those complex builds... coz sometimes even if you've done everything right, a part can fail after testing ok.  Even with the forum's help, it will still be your monster to defeat, and an obscure fault can be absolutely soul-destroying trying to solve!  :o :(