News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Behold the King of Muffs (with demo)

Started by pryde, October 25, 2013, 11:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Bow to the King of Muffs; seriously this pedal rules  :). After mind-numbing experimenting on the breadboard for my ultimate muff I settled on this one. Much of the circuit is from a very early "hand wired" triangle schematic circa 1969 but with a changed tone stack, added AMZ mid pot. I settled on all 2n5088 transistors after going through many options. Notice all the big 1uf and 680n caps that barely fit on the Mudbunny board. The end result is a massive sound that has a ton of texture and pick-attack, exactly what I was after. The tone stack goes from super-scooped to tons of midrange bite. Loving this thing as it sounds great on both a strat or LP.
For the aesthetics I de-faced a "wrinkle black" enclosure from PPP and did a fitting etch on the top. Note the king's robe adorns tiny pi symbols to represent his suit. I also added a custom-etched face plate on the front of the pedal to top it all off.  Have a listen to the quick demo below.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jpparlier/king-of-muffs[/soundcloud]

lincolnic

Looks awesome, sounds even better. Great job!

jimilee

Sounds great, whats the resistor on the skylift?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

selfdestroyer

ALL HAIL THE KING!

lol Looks awesome and sounds great. I also biased since I am a sucker for any Big Muff.

pryde

Quote from: jimilee on October 26, 2013, 03:50:09 AM
Sounds great, whats the resistor on the skylift?

Decided on a tone stack resistor change after completing the build so I poked some sockets into the holes.

Jakes Dad

Oh, that is nice! 

I've only got five Muffs (Ram's Head, Violet Ram's Head, Triangle - all on GuitarPCB Muff'n boards; Green Russian - Mudbunny; Creamy Dreamer - aion Halo) built and one in the works (JMK Scuba Muff) - looks like I need to do another.

Chuck

jimilee

Is this a clone of the tone wicker muff?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pryde

Quote from: jimilee on October 26, 2013, 03:05:50 PM

No not at all really. The base circuit is from a very early hand-wired version of the triangle muff. I then further tweaked it on the BB with different values on the coupling caps, emitter resistors and limiting resistors. Then changed the entire tone stack values using the Duncan calculator and added Orman's AMZ "presence" control (mids) to the tone stack.

So as much as any other boutique muff variation out there this is my own creation. FYI it has TONS of bottom end due to the large input and coupling caps so it sounds pretty swell with a bass also (IMO)

jimilee

Quote from: pryde on October 26, 2013, 03:42:10 PM
Quote from: jimilee on October 26, 2013, 03:05:50 PM

So as much as any other boutique muff variation out there this is my own creation. FYI it has TONS of bottom end due to the large input and coupling caps so it sounds pretty swell with a bass also (IMO)
You had to go there didn't you? You know I HAVE to build any bass oriented pedal don't you???

ch1naski

Pryde, that looks beautiful.
Stupid tapatalk app won't show soundcloud link.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

one louder.

murdog47

Love it! Great job  ;) One of my favorite Muff clips I've heard!

jrod

Sounds great! Love the enclosure artwork!

juansolo

Like it!

If you want, bung me the parts list and I'll add it to the spreadsheet. I'm all for getting as many muffs as possible into it.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pryde

Quote from: juansolo on October 27, 2013, 09:08:04 AM
Like it!

If you want, bung me the parts list and I'll add it to the spreadsheet. I'm all for getting as many muffs as possible into it.

Sure thing. I will get a BOM assembled

slimtriggers

That looks and sounds fantastic!  I've never been a Big Muff guy, more into Fuzz Faces, but this one has me interested. 

Looking forward to that BOM!   8)